Although it only consists of two words, the phrase ‘thank you’ can have a huge impact on those to whom it is said. It can be used in a variety of cicumstances- you can say it to a stranger who opens a door for you or even a waiter at a restaurant that provides excellent service. How often more times than none that we say thank you to complete strangers rather than those closest to us.
This season (starting with this week), let’s express gratitude to the people in our lives that we are most grateful for. Make a list of everyone that is close to you – a coworker, doctor, relative, neighbor, community worker, spouse – and send them a thank you this season.
Here are 10 ways to help make each thank you that much more personable.
1 Write a note, whether it’s a personal note sent by mail or a sticky note posted where they’re sure to see it.
2. Tell them. It sounds simple, but the best way to express thanks is to just say it!
3. Surprise them with their favorite snack, baked treat, coffee, or flowers.
4. Take them out for a meal, or if you’re a great cook, make a meal for them.
5. Buy them a book that pertains to their interests.
6. Reciprocate. Help a neighbor shovel his walkway, volunteer at your child’s school, or watch the kids while your spouse goes for a run or gets a massage.
7. Give them a gift certificate to their favorite restaurant or store.
8. Make it public. Write a good review online and praise the person or business whenever you can.
9. Make time for those you care about, and unplug from technology when you’re with them. Be present when with those who are most important to you, they may not always be around.
10. Pay it forward, and do something thoughtful for someone else.
What are you thankful for this season?